Thursday, March 7, 2013

Interview with Antoinette!

Band: Antoinette
Genre: Hardcore / Metalcore

Q: Where does the band name "Antoinette" come from?

Joe: I have loved the name Antoinette since the very first time I ever heard it, sat in a history class in secondary school. I always felt it the most beautiful name I have ever encountered and especially loved the juxtaposition of the beautiful name and the heavy, angry music. I feel it can draw some symbolic parallels with the later life of Marie Antoinette, she was this beautiful French queen who's life was shrouded by hate, misunderstanding and bitterness. It also allows us to have a "Let them eat cake" gang chant in our song, a famously miss-attributed quote from the lady herself! 

Q: How is the local metal scene in your area?
 
Joe: The local metal scene is quite fickle where we are from, sometimes it is really great and you can't beat it but other times it is dreadful. A lot of venues have recently shut down in the area, many of the remaining pubs and venues won't accept metal bands, it can get quite frustrating. A venue near us in Swindon called The Furnace (which has been host to many huge bands IE. Bring Me The Horizon, Architects, I Killed The Prom Queen and Enter Shikari) is currently going through a re-branding process to become Basement 73, they have some really exciting in the pipeline, so hopefully it will bring back the scene and make Swindon a popular tour stop for bigger bands like it used to be. 

Q: You started this year (2013), why did you start so late?
 
Benji: Antoinette began in 2013 because up until that point we were all in different bands and projects. We came together because of our love for playing music and the fact we knew each other very well. It was a very natural progression. We were writing and practicing together previously but officially launched January 1st, 2013. 

Q: What bands play an influence on your music?
 
Benji: For me personally it completely varies, when I started out I was brought up on bands like AFI, The Misfits and The Offspring. As I got older Deftones, Thrice, Brand New, Alexisonfire, Funeral For a Friend etc.. towards college it was I Killed The Prom Queen, Bring Me The Horizon, Job For a Cowboy, Salt The Wound.... The list keeps on going, anything from crushing deathcore, 80's power ballads, electronica and even country inspires me to write.

Joe: Mine is really embarrassing! I was bought up on Brit-pop and cheese! Bands like Oasis, Beach Boys, The Housemartins and Blur until I started listening to the radio. Until I was 14 I could sing every word to every song on the top 40 chart. Luckily for me I was saved by my friends who rammed Metallica, Nirvana, Stone Sour, Slipknot, Trivium, 36Crazyfists and Funeral For A Friend down my throat. Funeral are one of my biggest influences along with bands like InMe, Parkway drive and Architects. The list could go on! 

Q: Does your family and/or friends support your decision on playing heavier styled music?
 
Benji: When I was growing up i was always supported by my family, whether they thought it was a teenage phase or where I am now they always drove me (and most of the time the crowd) to a majority of my earlier gigs, bought merch and CDs, even were crowd control when it got a little too crazy. I'm very lucky to have the family I have.

Joe: Same, my family are very supportive, they might not like the music but they like that I am happy doing what I am doing. You can't ask for more than that. 

Q: What are your plans for this year?
 
Benji: After releasing and promoting our debut track "Become>Believe" we are planning to hit the studio May 2013 and work on our first EP together, make a music video in the summer and then tour off the EP until the end of the year. 

Q: Do you have any shout outs to give?
 
Benji: To my friends, family and girlfriend for always showing love and support, To everyone who has supported this band so far as it's been amazing. TO EVERY PERSON WHO CONTINUES TO GO TO SHOWS, BUYS MERCH, CD's AND GENERALLY GOES CRAZY! World wide those are the people who keep it going and without them we wouldn't be able to do what we do.

Joe: Apart from my amazing friends and family I think that just about covers it!

No comments:

Post a Comment